Friday, December 30, 2011

December 30, 2011 - Hockey exhibition - HC Přerov Boys U18 1 Canada Girls U18 5






December 30th, 2011
International ice hockey exhibition
HC Přerov Boys U18 1 Canada U18 Girls 5
Attendance: 400
Admission: Free

This match was played as a warm-up for the Canadian U18 Girls side, who are set to play in the 2012 U18 Girl's World Championships, which began on December 31st in Přerov and Zlín.

I had never been to the arena in Přerov, so I was looking forward to my visit last week. It is a shame I hadn't been able to get to Přerov a few years earlier to see the old arena before it was renovated. Based on the pictures I looked at, it was oozing with character. A classic, old, Czech arena. However, it is safe to assume that it needed renovation, and it didn't come to much surprise to see that the city redeveloped the arena a few years back. Now, it is a fantastic looking 3,500 seat arena.

Since I couldn't make it to any of the games, I decided to take in the exhibition game between the Canadian U18 girls side and Přerov U18 boys. I wasn't sure what to expect, as girls hockey isn't too popular in this country, especially compared to Canada. I was surprised when about 400 people showed up on a Thursday afternoon. However, I wasn't surprised to see Canada run away with the win. They were better technically, much more fit, and could have won by more, based on the last two periods of play.

No comments: