Thursday, September 30, 2010

November 15th, 2006 - FIFA international - Hungary 1 Canada 0






November 15th, 2006
FIFA Friendly at Szekesfehervar (Stadion Sostoi)
Hungary 1 Canada 0
Attendance: 10,000
Admission: no idea

Back in 2006, I made my way to Szekesfehervar, which is a city of around 100,000 located 1 hour by train from Budapest. I remember it being a brutal city name to pronounce and I am sure that I butchered it while trying to buy a train ticket.

I arrived in the city on the morning of the game. I spent the morning walking around and sitting in pubs. The stadium is located about a 15-20 minute walk back to the train station, and I didn't have too many problems finding it. On the way I ran into the parents of a Canadian player who was going to play in his very first full international. They were shocked to see another Canadian at the game. Actually, it turned out about 15 Canadian's were at the game, scattered around the stadium. I arrived very early, and didn't see any other Canadian's so I put up my flag near the centre of the pitch. People were taking pictures of me, but I didn't feel any reason to be afraid. Eventually, I saw another Canadian flag in the crowd, and made my way over to join them. We were seated right beside the supporters section, and the feeling from them was a little hostile. This was the first time I felt this at any Canadian away game (expect Costa Rica vs Canada WCQ in San Jose 2003).

I don't remember too much of the game, except for a muddy pitch and foggy conditions. After the match, I made my way back to Budapest on the last train back.

No comments: