Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June 30th - Friendly - Sigma Olomouc 0 Trnava 0







June 30th - Preseason friendly
Sigma Olomouc 0 Trnava 0 (in Újezdec u Luhačovic)
Attendance: 150
Admission: ?

Back in 2000 when I was a student in Olomouc, I would go to as many Sigma games as possible, home and away.  I returned in 2002, and followed much of the same pattern.  Ever since I moved permantely to Czech Republic, specifically Prostějov in 2007, I have been kind of drifting away from Sigma.  Even though Olomouc is only 20km away, I have found myself supporting my local team here in Prostějov.  Of course I still follow the results of Sigma, but before this game against Trnava, I do not think I have seen them play in close to 2 years.  I saw the friendly as a good opportunity to go some where new, and to see Sigma play again.

Újezdec is a very common name for villages in the Czech Republic, so first thing before heading off I had to make sure I was going to the correct one.  I was hoping the game would have been played in Ůjezdec near Přerov, but unfortunately it was the one near Luhačovice.  Last Saturday, it was over 30C, and not surprisingly, the trains were rather warm.  To get to Újezdec u Luhačovic I took the route Prostějov-Olomouc-Staré Město u Uherského Hradiště-Újezdec.  Overall it was a 115km one way trip which took about 2.5 hours.

The good thing about Újezdec was that the football stadium was only about 50m from the train stop.  I arrived at kick off, and left a few minutes after.  I was kind of surprised when this village was named for the friendly, but I suppose it makes sense, as it is kind of in the middle of Olomouc and Trnava.  The pitch was decent enough, as were the two small stands.  Most people on the day decided to stay in the shade as much as possible.  I would have thought a bigger crowd would attend, but in the end only about 150 came out on Saturday morning.  No doubt more people would have been interested if Slovácko were playing.

Despite the 0-0 draw, and the young Sigma Olomouc line-up, the game was entertaining.  Both sides pushed each other. Sigma had the play in the first half, and hit the post.  Trnava dominated much of the play in the second half, and were very unlucky not to score a goal.







No comments: