Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 17th, 2012 - Divize E - FK Prostějov 4 Havířov 0





March 17th, 2012
Divize E (4th tier)
FK Prostějov 4 Havířov 0
Attendance - 960
Admission - 20kc

After putting it off for the first half of the season, I decided to take in a FK Prostějov, mostly because I was desperate for some competitive football. Despite this, I could only last about 15 minutes at the match, as I left soon after the first goal in the 15th minute. I couldn't watch another minute. Almost one thousand people showed up, but no energy from the crowd.

FK Prostějov? What exactly are they? Well, since I am Canadian, I would make a link between expansion of sports franchises in North America and FK. They bought their way into the 4th tier of football, and very few players had any connections with SK Prostějov (currently in the 9th tier), so in my opinion they are an expansion side. They didn't really exist last year, and basically people go watch them to see a higher level of football, but how much do they really care? FK has absolutely no history to speak of, and they have little or no identity in the community. A little harsh, but it does have some truth in it.

Perhaps the people behind the club are trying to change this, because they brought in the same sponsor SK had during the 1980's? It seems to me that they are trying to connect with the city, and with the history of football, even though they have none. The history belongs to SK, no matter how hard they try with the FK 'franchise'. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer when it is expected that SK and FK will merge.

I know I am probably in the minority with my opinion of FK as most people probably just want to watch the highest level of football possible, but that doesn't mean everyone should follow in line.

No comments: