Monday, April 1, 2013

August 4th, 2002 - FC Synot 1 Sigma Olomouc 1




August 4th, 2002
FC Synot 1 Sigma Olomouc 1
Attendance - 2753 (away support 50-75)

FC Synot were a club that was based in Staré Město u Uherského Hradiště (population 6.700).  They were established in 1927 as Staré Město.  In 2000 the club merged with Slovácká Slavia Uherské Hradiště.  Four years later, the club left Staré Město and went down the road (literally) to Uherské Hradiště.  It was there that the club took on the name of Slovácko.

I believe this was my first ever Sigma Olomouc away game, and as a Canadian, I really had my head in the sand when it came to away travel in Europe.  I do not remember much from the trip or the game, but I do remember police greeting us at the train station, and seeing police at every single corner.  The stadium was quite small, and the away section was just a few wooden benches with metal bars surrounding the entire section.

Some might remember that a few years later (2004), FC Synot, were involved in a better scandal just before the club left for Uherské Hradiště.  One more link can be found here.

No comments: