Monday, March 9, 2020

February 2020 - Stadion Blagoj Istatov in Strumica, Macedonia



I first visited Strumica, Macedonia in November in 2009 when I travelled from the Czech Republic to watch Canada play Macedonia in a friendly.  Unfortunately, Canada lost that match 3-0, which saw 4 penalty kicks called, and a dodgy ref from Bulgaria.  In 2010, I married a woman from Strumica, and as a result I have visited the city numerous times over the last 11 years.  

The last time I watched football at the stadium was in 2017 when I watch a few Europa League and Champions League qualifiers.  At the time, the stadium in Strumica was the only stadium able to host European qualifiers.  The main stadium in Skopje was under construction.  Needless the say, the stadium was in poor condition.  No real facilities, dirty, and broken seats.  Since then, it has gone under extensive renovation, and looks a little better as of February 2020.

Currently, Belasica Strumica are the main tenants of the stadium.








No comments: